Wednesday 27 April 2011

Lights, camera, action!

Ta-dah! Filming is done. It actually went more smoothly than I was expecting and I'm fairly confident that we got all the footage we need. We all got the hang of it pretty quickly; setting up the camera and lights and audio equipment, white balancing, framing, etc, etc. I don't mean to sound boastful, but I feel I did a really good job of keeping everyone on track and organized. I kind of took over the role of director for most of the filming. However, I made sure that everyone got to have their say, each person's input was taken into account, and if people wanted to try their hand at camera or audio work, they were free to do so. To be sure that everyone was comfortable, I even asked if I was being too pushy, and told them that if I was, they should just tell me. Everyone did a good job though, and everyone took part.

We did run into a few snags. The main one being Zehn. He missed our first day of shooting. Don't get me wrong; it wasn't completely his fault. His flight from Cairns was delayed, and when he arrived on the second day, he did work hard to help out and be involved. We've had issues with him besides that though. He's missed several classes, missed numerous group meetings, didn't help at all with planning or writing the script/production schedule/shot list, and is really bad at keeping up with group correspondence. I did talk to him about it briefly after we finished shooting (separate from the group, so he wouldn't feel like everyone was ganging up on him), and it seems like he's going to step up. I think he's more interested in the post-production work anyway.

Another issue we had was with the weather. It rained on and off for both of our shooting days, so we had to adapt several scenes that took place outdoors. One we managed to do under cover, and the other we finished our final shot just as the water came tumbling back down. Lucky timing. Overall though, it was a successful couple of days, and we didn't end up killing each other. For the most part it was actually a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment