Saturday 5 March 2011

Let's start with a character.

We'll call her Libby. She's Canadian, but a traveler. Make that recent traveler. She's moved to Australia for university, left her whole life behind, and started from scratch. She's made new friends, seen new places, and grown as a person. She's become more confident and independent. She's not completely sure what she wants to do with her life, but she's creative and determined to succeed with whatever she chooses to do. She's the protagonist of this particular movie. She's me.

It's easy to identify bits and pieces of yourself in the movies you watch. For example, when I, Libby the Canadian, moved to Australia, I left behind a guy I was crazy about. We'd only been dating for six weeks, and had never planned on letting it become anything serious. Of course, a few months later I watched the trailer for Going the Distance. I still feel like I should've received a cut of the profits from that one.

It doesn't have to be that blatant though. Sometimes it's a simple and subtle as watching a character's mannerisms and recognizing yourself or a loved one in them. It might be the setting... being able to say, "Hey! I've been there!"  These little things are what I love about movies. I love them because they make every movie different for every person who watches them. They're the minor details that people only notice when it touches them on a personal level. I want to be able to do that for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment